My Thoughts on MageHero

MageHero – Awesome Magento Developers If you don’t know what MageHero is and you are a developer working with Magento, go check it out first then come back to read the rest of this post.  If you are a merchant or recruiter, I would recommend you wait for now.  The site is very much a […]

Why are you still on PHP 5.3?

Seriously, why? Let’s start with some facts. PHP 5.3 officially experienced EOL (End Of Life) in March of 2013. That’s nearly 1 1/2 years ago (an eternity in tech years). The last bug fix for PHP 5.3 was released in December of 2013 – 8 months ago! There has probably been 2 dozen flash bug […]

Introducing TogglToJira

As a consultant, keeping track of my time is obviously very important. I use Toggl to track every task (billable or not) that I work on for each client. However, I also have to update each client’s Jira project with the time I spent on each ticket as well as our billing system’s timesheet (we’ll […]

Fixed Price Sales Rules (Coupons)

Did you know Magento 1.x supports “fixed price” sales rules (ex, Coupons) out of the box? Not many people do and there’s a reason for that. There is a one-line bug that has been left unfixed for over <a href=”″ target=”_blank”>4 years now</a>. Here is a workaround to allow you to use them: Add the […]

Who do you optimize for?

It’s a fairly well-known fact that search engines (especially Google) factor in website speed in how they rank your site in search results. With that in mind, do you still optimize website speed for your users? Or do you do this more to cater to SEO? I’m particularly curious after reading this post on creating […]

Debugging Java Applications

This process is an addition to the regular debugging techniques that include: Check all the processes and resources (CPU, RAM, IO, disk space, etc.) Check log files for errors Check network connectivity Check DNS (JVM by default caches the name resolution of hosts. So, if you have changed an IP for a certain name – […]

Return to WordPress

A while back I converted this blog to SecondCrack. That worked out for a while, but I wanted something a little more robust with more features. So I moved to Octopress hosted on GitHub. The problem was, I stopped posting entries. Having a static blog was nice for security, but made posting a little more […]

What is on your Playlist?

I haven’t posted in several months (in case you haven’t noticed) and I wanted to post something more substantial as part of my return to posting, but instead I’m going to go with this short post. I was recently asked by another developer what I listened to when writing code. So I thought I would […]

My Cheat Sheet for the Magento Developer PLUS certification exam

Ha! There isn’t one. At least not here. I worked hard for my certification and you should too. I will, however, point you in the right direction. First, take the Magento U On-Demand Fundamentals class Seriously. It’s free [Update: No longer free, but still very reasonably priced]. What possible excuse could you have for not […]

Hooks in Second Crack

Second Crack If you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m pretty excited about the fact this blog is running on Second Crack. I’m so excited, I’ve started customizing it (and contributing my changes back to Marco, if he wants them). Hooks The first thing I have added is the ability to utilize hooks. I’ve done […]